Sunday, May 22, 2011

Small Adjustments


There are a lot of differences between Greece and America. Though language is hardly necessary to specify, it is one of the biggest difficulties. After a week of sopping wet weather, the sun has shone, and things are heating up. Although, I’m never certain of the actual measurement of degrees, since it’s considered in the 20’s and is hot, whereas back home it would be in the 80’s. Normally at a restaurant, each person orders a plate for himself, but in Greece we eat family style all the time. I had a recipe for some crepes that I wanted to make, but when it called for a cup of flour and a tablespoon of vanilla, I had to improvise with the estimated amounts. I don’t know how far a meter is. Or how many kilos I weigh. I don’t automatically convert euros into dollars in my head. I sometimes feel a little weird kissing people on both cheeks when I greet them and at our departure, especially when I enter/leave a big group of people. I’m not used to taking a leisurely stroll; most of my walking has a purpose behind it. My coffee should either be piping hot or ice cold, because drinks are never their tastiest at a luke warm temperature. It should not be this hard to locate ingredients to make a root beer float -there are only two ingredients! 
It’s beautiful though - the differences. There are so many people who live life so differently from me. And they are able to live. Thrive. And progress. So much goes on in this world that we have no clue about; maybe we should branch out more often and see what else the world has to offer us. It might surprise us. You might discover that you know less than you thought and can learn more than you expected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment